How to alter Roller Blinds
How to cut your Roller Blind width to size
1. Work out whether you are fitting the blind inside or outside of your window recess. Measure your window recess at the top. If you are fitting outside the recess then add 15cm to your measurement.
2. Subtract 3.5cm from your total measurement. You will need this room for brackets. The new measurement is called your CLOTH SIZE.
3. If you have ordered a roller blind with eyelets, a scalloped edge or castle finish then you will need to make sure that these finishes at the bottom are even. This may mean cutting an even amount from both sides or if you are lucky you may be able to just cut once. Work out how much you need to cut off by rolling your blind out flat and measuring the cloth. Deduct the CLOTH SIZE you worked out earlier and now you know how much you need to cut off. If you have one of the blinds which may need both sides cutting then check to see if you could leave an even finish to the decorative bottom of your blind with one cut otherwise you will need to cut both sides.
4. Now that you know how much to cut off make a pencil mark on the back of the blind at the top and bottom on one or both sides as needed and rule a line to help guide you as you cut. Cut down the blind with a sharp pair of scissors along the line. Discard any excess cloth you have cut away.
5. You will now need a hacksaw to cut through the metal tube and the PVC weight of your roller blind. Use your CLOTH SIZE measurement and make a pencil mark on the PVC weight. Use the hacksaw to cut along the pencil mark and your weight is then ready for use.
6. Use your CLOTH SIZE measurement and add 1cm. Please make sure that this 1cm extra is 0.5cm on each side of the tube as this will mean that it fits very snugly into the brackets. Make a pencil mark on your tube and hacksaw through it. Your roller blind is now trimmed to fit.
N.B. You do not need to shorten your roller blind as the roller blinds sold by Chiltern Mills are operated using a sidewinder mechanism.
Return to roller blinds - CLICK HERE