How to alter Venetian Blinds
How to cut the width & shorten the drop of your Venetian Blind
1. Measure the size of your blind now and work out the size you want the blind to be after its cut down. If you aren’t sure what size your blind needs to be measure inside your window recess wall to wall at top and bottom and take the lowest measurement. Deduct 1cm from that and that is the measurement you want the blind to be when cut down to fit inside the recess. From your two measurements you will be able to work out the amount you need to cut off.
2. You will need to cut half of this amount from each side. Measure the back of the top rail and the bottom bar and pencil mark where you want to cut down the blind on both sides.
3. Take your slat cutter. The slat cutter has a measure which you can use to help you cut evenly along the slats, cutting off between 2.5cm and 10cm. Take the required amount off each side of each slat.
4. Take the end caps of the bottom bar and top rail on both sides. Using the pencil mark you have already made saw through the rail and the bottom bar. Put the end caps back on both sides of both rails. Your Venetian blind is now trimmed to fit width ways.
1. Hang your venetian blind before shortening the drop. Once you have hung the blind open it fully so it drops to its maximum length. Cut the corded ladder 2 slats below where you want your drop to end.
2. Cut the cord just above the bottom bar – the spare slats and bottom bar will fall off the blind which remains hanging. Pull the cord through the bottom slat which remains and remove the slat from the blind.
3. Remove the ladder, slats, bottom and end caps from the bottom bar. Slide the bottom bar through the corded ladder so that it sits under the last slat of the hanging blind sharing the same ladder rung.
4. Thread the cord through the holes in the bottom bar making sure all the cords are of the same length and inline with the bottom bar. Pencil mark the cords just underneath the bottom bar. Double knot the cords at the pencil mark and cut off the remaining cord below it.
5. Pull up the blind using the pull cords but make sure you can still reach the bottom bar. Twist the remaining ladder round and push it through the holes in the bottom bar. Pop the caps on the bottom bar back into place and then release your blind down. Your venetian blind is now shortened to fit.
Return to Venetian Blinds - CLICK HERE